Thursday 25 February 2016

Marie's Windsor Throw - Tunisian Crochet

This is a bit of a throwback Thursday of blankets. I actually made this throw a few years ago - it was one of the first blankets I made when I had just taught myself how to crochet - and this was before I started Green Tea and Giraffes. I only realised now - when I am getting more into Tunisian crochet - that I had not written anything about this blanket - but here it is. (Free pattern below)
www.greenteaandgiraffes.com
I was inspired by a knitted lapghan I found on the Red Heart website - but seeing as I don't knit, I came up with a crocheted version. I chose the Tunisian simple stitch, as this was the first project I had embarked upon using Tunisian crochet, so I wanted to start out as simple as possible, - but also because I like the texture of the Tunisian simple stitch and it creates a nice almost woven look.

www.greenteaandgiraffes.com
The method was simple. I crocheted 5 cables with 5 squares in each cable - this way you only have to stitch the five cables together. For each cable I chained 26 and crocheted 19 rows, before changing to a new colour. Download the free pattern in English here (pdf) and the pattern in Danish here
As is normal for Tunisian crochet, the blanket curled up quite a bit at the ends. It did help when I did the border - a few rows of simple half double crochet - but 'blocking'/steaming is probably needed in order to get it to a stage where it is completely flat and straight. I have yet to perfect that technique..!

For more information about the yarn used, amount of yarn used etc. - check out my Ravelry post here and find the blanket pattern page on Ravelry here.

6 comments:

  1. The pattern isn't available through the link. I also tried Raverly with no luck.
    Can you please email it to me @ kbenford.kb@gmail.com?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I too am looking for the pattern but not able to get it from this link. Would you be able to send it to me at tyaanderson@gmail.com

    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28wGGN-nJFqeEIyc0VHMTBJa3c/view

    ReplyDelete
  4. For pattern see link ‘here’ below last photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish this was on you tube or Video it looks lovely I am a left hand crochet please let me know thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please email me the pattern. The link on Raverly leads to here and there is no pattern.

    ReplyDelete