Wednesday 18 May 2016

Northern Zealand Blanket

I am so happy to finally be able to reveal the final result – my first Tunisian crochet full stitch blanket. Actually it didn’t take that long to make – I started in late February and finished mid-May – but I did try to crochet almost every day. (Free pattern below)


I am in love with the Tunisian full stitch – I just love the look it creates – and I am already thinking about the design for my next blanket. This blanket with many colors is also a great way to use up leftover yarn.
I couldn’t find many patterns or tutorials for the Tunisian full stitch, so I decided to write down the full pattern for this blanket. I hope it might inspire you to also give the full stitch a try – and if you have any questions, you are more than welcome to leave a comment. You can download the free pattern in pdf format here, - you can also find it on Ravelry here, in case you want to save it to your library there. Please note that I use US crochet terms. 

Here a brief overview of my blanket! J

The blanket is made using the Tunisian full stitch. For this you will need a Tunisian crochet hook that can hold all the loops of the blanket. I used acrylic yarn and a crochet hook 4.5 mm for yarn that required a 4.0 mm hook (you often go up ½ to 1 size when doing Tunisian crochet). I chained 200 and did a total of 280 rows. The border is single crochet, finished off by slip stitch all around the blanket in the last row of single crochet. The blanket measures 118 x 138 cm and weighs 1050 g. I used 14 different colors and a random stripe scheme where each row is a different color.


As you can see, the back is very different from the front of the blanket.   

On the picture below, you can see how to make sure the border is even - by inserting the hook above the horizontal lines in one row (lines indicated by the red arrows).
If you have any questions, please leave me a comment below. I hope you will feel inspired to also give this blanket a try.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely blanket!
    I was looking for a Tunisian crochet blanket and I like this one very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Estella,
      Thank you so much for your comment - I'm very glad to hear that. Hope you have fun making it if you give it a go.
      All the best,
      Marie

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful blanket! I love your colors!

    I want to try tunisian crochet (have already purchased the hooks) and this pattern makes me want to drop everything and start immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger, thank you so much. I really hope you give it a try - it is so much fun to crochet. Feel free to check in if you have any questions - and I would love to see the blanket if you do go ahead and make one:)

      All the best,
      Marie

      Delete
  3. Michele Campbell24 October 2016 at 22:38

    I'd love yo try this blanket, I've always wanted to try Tunisian and I bought Tunisian hooks so I'd have them on hand when I got brave enough to try but I don't think the ones I bought are the right ones for this project- what kind of Tunisian hook do I need to buy to do this pattern? I don't think I can get 200 stitches on mine, they are only about 12" long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thank you for your comment. I think you are right, 12" will probably be too short to hold 200 stitches. The Tunisian crochet hooks that I bought came with a plastic line attached that measures 48" - it was more than enough to hold 200 stitches - so you could get by with something a bit shorter, but probably not 12".
      Here is the link to the shop where I bought mine. I don't know where you are located but they should ship to most places around the world. They are very cheap - and probably not the best quality, but they work just fine for me. And it's a nice way to try out Tunisian crochet without having to spend a lot of money before you know if you like it.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Sizes-Crochet-Hooks-Afghan-Tunisian-Carbonized-Bamboo-knitting-Needle-48-L-/141511555229?

      I hope you give it a try though - I'm sure you will love the texture you get from this Tunisian crochet stitch. And feel free to check in if you have any questions.

      Best regards,
      Marie

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I just purchased the hooks you suggested. May I ask what brand yarn you used? I love your colors!

      Delete
    3. That sounds great! I used a South African brand called Elle - that's the only acrylic yarn I can get in Namibia. I used a few different types of yarn, some were 100% acrylic, some a mix (wool and acrylic), but all requiring the same hook size - that way I had more colours to choose from - but any wool or acrylic yarn should work just fine :)

      Best of luck with your blanket :)

      Delete