Friday 30 September 2016

Roasted & Salted Almonds

www.greenteaandgiraffes.com

Almonds are delicious - whether in a homemade muesli, in bread or just as a snack. I don't know why it never occurred to me before to make my own roasted and salted almonds, - until a few months ago, that is. Since then I have made these almonds more times than I can remember - they are delicious. These almonds are perfect with a cold G & T, in a bowl with raisins and your favorite chocolate, or as a little gift to bring to a dinner party.


I can't wait to try out other flavor combinations as well - rosmary, in particular - but I have to admit that so far I've stuck with this very basic version - it just works so well on its own.

www.greenteaandgiraffes.com

You'll have to put aside app. 1 hour for this recipe - but most of the time the almonds just sit in a pot or are busy baking in the oven, so it's by no means exhausting.

Here's the recipe:

200 g almonds
500 ml water
140 g salt (or more/less depending on how salty you prefer your almonds - mine are quite salty)

Put salt and water in a small pot and heat it until the salt has dissolved. Take the pot off the heat and add the almonds. Let them soak in the salty water for 20 min.
Drain the almonds and place them on a piece of baking paper on a baking tray. Bake at 170 degrees celcius for 15 - 30 min.
For the last 15 min. it is important to keep an eye on the almonds. Take them out when you think they are roasted enough. When they've been in the oven for 15 min. I always take one out, let it cool and then I taste and see if I think they are done. It's the best way to gauge when you think they are perfect. I find that it always vary a bit how long they need to be in the oven for.
Take the almonds out when they are done. Let them cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container.

www.greenteaandgiraffes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment