Wednesday 7 October 2015

My Colorful Squares Blanket

This is the first blanket I've completed since we moved to Namibia. It's simply just a combination of granny squares with five rows in each granny square and then arranged in clusters of 5 granny squares. (Free pattern below).





My favorite thing about this blanket is the color-combination and the way the squares are put together to create the distinct shapes. However, I am not overly thrilled about the way my joining the squares turned out. The blanket itself is not completely flat - in the sense that some squares puff up a little bit - I don't know if you are able to tell from the photos.
I think this is partly due to the fact that I used different types of yarn (although all acrylic and intended for a 4 mm hook) - because no matter what the label of the yarn says, there will always be slight differences to the thickness of the yarn etc. Another factor I think might have played a role is the way I joined the squares. I crocheted the squares together, so the blanket now has a front and a back - but I can't help but wonder if it would have helped if I had sewn the squares together instead?
I really love the general design of this blanket - and I would love to do another one with a completely different color combination. Next time I will try to use the same type of yarn and I will try sewing the squares together. I have never tried that method of joining squares before, so if you have any tips for me on that, please let me know.  



Download the pattern here (pdf) or visit the Ravelry pattern page here.

Quick facts:

Acrylic yarn
4 mm hook
Total weight: 1100 g
Measures app. 1.5 m x 1.6 m
Squares: 110

If you need any help getting started - or if you have questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.

Find this blanket on Ravelry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment