Wednesday 26 February 2014

Breaking Bad Afghan

I absolutely loved watching Breaking Bad ( who didn't!) :) And as the big crochet geek I am, I couldn't help but notice the really cool, crocheted afghan on the White's couch which was visible in almost every episode...at least during the first few seasons.   
My boyfriend and I only started watching Breaking Bad when the series had almost come to an end, so we were able to watch most of the show within quite a short time span. From very early on though, I had my eye on the afghan on the living room couch...and it just so happened that I had some yarn in those colors. So it didn't take me long to decide to try and copy that blanket. To my great surprise my boyfriend also thought it sounded like a cool project ( normally he doesn't pay too much attention to my crochet projects;))...so one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had ordered more yarn, so I could make it the exact size as the one on the show.
(Free pattern below).   

It's quite apparent that the pattern is a granny square. However, it took a bit more work figuring out how many rows of each color are in the Breaking Bad afghan. Therefore, I took as many screen shots as possible of the episodes in which the blanket was featured more prominently - and then I zoomed in and tried to count rows. While I can't be absolutely certain I got it right, I do feel confident that it comes very, very close :) I did quite a bit of research (i.e. googling), but I couldn't find any other blogs or other sites with more info on the actual Breaking Bad blanket. But don't worry, if you also want to make your own Walter White afghan, I have tried to write down all the info you need at the end of this blog post.



Download the free pdf pattern here and find the pattern page on Ravelry here.

YARN

I used Red Heart Super Saver and Red Heart Classic, and used a 5.5 mm crochet hook. The colors and how many grams of each I've used:

Carrot - 300 g
Buff - 470 g
Warm Brown - 200 g 
Coffee - 420 g

Total weight 1390 g and it measures approx. 165 cm x 165 cm.

I crocheted the following number of rows - starting in the middle, moving outwards:

19  rows carrot
10  rows buff
4   rows warm brown
3   rows coffee
4   rows carrot
6   rows buff
2   rows warm brown
5   rows coffee

For the edge, I crocheted one row of single crochet - also using the coffee yarn.



18 comments:

  1. Hi ! Amazing job !
    Thank you very much for your post.
    I was looking for such informations for one year.
    Could you tell me the exact references for the Red Heart Yarn you've used please ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I'm glad you find this post useful.

      The yarn I used is as follows:
      The orange is Red Heart Super Saver "carrot"
      The lightest brown is Red Heart Super Saver "buff"
      The medium brown is Red Heart Classic "warm brown"
      The darkest brown is Red Heart Super Saver "coffee"
      (See how much of each I used above)

      Here is the link to Red Heart Yarn's website with the Super Saver yarn http://www.redheart.com/yarn/super-saver-economy

      Hope this helps - otherwise feel free to write again.

      All the best, Marie

      Delete
    2. Hi Marie-Louise,

      What can i say but its bloody fantastic, you have inspired me to order the wool and my crochet hook and get started, hope it turns out as wonderful as yours.

      Delete
    3. Hi Kate,
      Thank you so much:) Hope you have just as much fun with it as I did!

      Delete
  2. Hello! The afghan is really gorgeous!
    I've got one question. As I very seldom use crochet, but knitting needles so I do not clearly understand from where do you start. Do you start from the middle with the carrot colour and make the first granny square as big as 19 rows of carrot colour and than you change the colour? or how do you do that?
    I suppose that is not so easy to explain all the basic things for a beginner but I really can't figure out how is it better to start!
    Would appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      Yes, I do it exactly as you described. You start in the middle and work your way out. So you start with the carrot colour and crochet 19 rows. Then you change the colour to the lightest of the brown colours etc. I know it can be very confusing if you are not used to crochet - but here is a link to the youtube video that taught me how to crochet granny squares - maybe that will also be helpful to you. Otherwise you are more than welcome to write again if you have more questions.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYq7kfdgbKQ

      Best wishes,
      Marie

      Delete
    2. Marie, thank you so much for your answer, it seems that I was able to figure it out and really am enjoing knitting it!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I'm very glad to hear that. Hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  3. About how many skeins of yarn do you think you used? I'm trying to get approximate at how many I will need to buy for the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber,

      Thank you for your comment. Here are the details for the yarn (Red Heart Super Saver - each skein is 200 g):

      Carrot - 300 g = 1.5 skeins
      Buff - 470 g = 2.35 skeins
      Warm Brown - 200 g = 1 skein
      Coffee - 420 g = 2.1 skeins

      Best regards,
      Marie

      Delete
  4. Hallo Marie,
    Thanks for the great instruction. I've been searching for it forever. Is there perhaps someone who has translated the manual into German? I come with the English instructions not so well clear. Thanks in advance.
    Best regards
    Heike Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I was wondering if you had the approximate measurements for each colour round? I’m trying to make this blanket and really want to do a large one but I’m using DK/8ply rather than Aran/10ply and I don’t want to lose too much of the size! TIA for any help you can provide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing! I had the show paused the other day, and was counting rows on the blan6and my son said I was crazy and I should just Google it. He said some other crazy crochet lady has probably already worked out the colors, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning,
    I'm currently making this blanket for a baby but am using a varigated yarn. The pattern is just gorgeous. The colors in the varigated are autumn colors and I just added the colors that I thought would go with it which seems to be the colors that you used in the blanket you created. Thank you for you great creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found all the colors except warm brown what can I use as a substitute color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest I found to that color was Cafe Latte by Red Heart... I couldn't find the warm brown either

      Delete
  9. I sent a request to be able to use this pattern. Not sure how this works but I haven't received any notifications or email that I was accepted to use it?

    ReplyDelete