Friday 21 February 2014

Homemade Orange Jam


Jam is one of my favorite things to make - there's something very satisfying and homey about making it - and there's nothing better than having a jar or two of homemade jam in the fridge. I have to admit that I have never really cared much for orange jam...until i began making it myself, that is. There is just no comparison to the ones you buy at the supermarket. Homemade orange jam is delicious - I really hope you'll give it a try - even if you're not the orange jam type - I promise you, you'll like it when you make it yourself :)


Here's the recipe

6 medium-sized oranges (app. 1.2 kg)
400 ml water
450 g sugar
2 tsp gelatine powder for jam-making

Gently peel the oranges - I use a potato peeler - try to avoid digging into the white stuff. Finely chop the peel - it's your choice how small you want the pieces, but I cut them into very small bits. Put the chopped orange peel in a pot, add the water and let simmer for about 25 min. 
After 25 min., add the rest of the oranges roughly chopped (minus all the white bits) and let simmer for another 30 min.
Then it's time to add the sugar and let simmer for 25 min. 
When the 25 min are up, mix the gelatine powder with 1 tablespoon sugar and add to the jam. Stir well and quickly bring to a boil. When the jam reaches boiling point, take it off the heat and pour into jars. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment