Saturday 15 February 2014

Ear Warmer - Tunisian Crochet

This is a great little project to do if you have some leftover yarn you don't know what to do with. I spent an evening in front of the tv making this - it really does not take long. 
It is tunisian crochet - if you haven't tried it yet, then I highly recommend it. I am planning on making a tutorial, but in the meantime check out this video from Drops on how you get started. 




I just love the texture you get when doing tunisian crochet - it's almost a woven look - and it doesn't stretch as much as other crochet stitches would - making it perfect for fitted items where you want whatever you make to remain roughly the same size - even after wearing it. 



For this ear warmer I chained 11 and then just kept crocheting until it was long enough to just reach around my head. Then I connected the ends using slip stitches. For the middle part of the ear warmer I pulled a long piece of yarn through the back of the ear warmer in two parallel rows and then I pulled tightly - until it had the desired effect - and fastened.
The yarn I used was Drops Eskimo. Normally it calls for a 9.0 mm hook, but because I wanted a firm structure that wouldn't stretch too much, I used a 7.0 mm hook and that worked really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment